MY TUESDAY MORNING ON A BIKE

Photo credit: Getty images


Written by Amarachi Ogbonnaya.

Imagine my horror when the bike man served dangerously past a danfo, I was mortified. This began my journey on a bike to a meeting this fateful Tuesday morning.

Let me state emphatically here that I have never ridden on a bike on a busy highway before, but this morning, I thought it was different and was kinda in a haste, or so I thought and decided to explore what seems to be the norm amongst Lagosians using the fastest way to beat traffic...bikes, aka okada.

My fellow passenger, a lady, who was no doubt, a faithful customer of the okada man, was as calm as a Dove on the bike, I was obviously the worrier among the trio (myself, the lady and the bike man) that ploughed the ever busy Egbeda-Ikeja-oshodi road, fated to have the longest traffic in Lagos mainland.

The okada man was just being rough; taking sharp turns and engaging in road squabbles with his other okada riders.

We had already formed another line at the side of the road and a human line at one corner sef, hmmm, at some places were we couldn't all pass, the passengers of the,"Fast guys" would come down, form a line and cross over first, before our okada riders would pass and we would quickly locate our bikes and veer off, it was a sight to behold.

Not forgetting our vehicular neighbors (danfos and private cars), would swerve dangerously and we would jerk or stop. I had never  been so scared my  whole life, FAM, I practically weighed both the Pros and con's of the trip in my subconscious mind, which became my best friend on this trip, unconsciously and I tried to understand why I didn't follow "Normal Lagosians" to sweat out the traffic, after all, what's the worst that could happen right? Yeah right.

The Pros:
Faster mode of transportation; I got to Ikeja along pretty fast, like a gun went off somewhere and kaBoooooooooooooom, I was in my destination already.
The cons:
More expensive; while Ikeja bus was collecting 250 naira per passenger, the bike man collected 300 naira per person from the both of us.

The Pros:
The fresh air though, very stimulating.

The cons:
Not comfortable at all, I practically had to squeeze myself, plus the body odor coming out from the okada rider was something else.

The cons :
Damn, all the rough play the bike man was doing on the road was something else, I almost felt like I had a near-death experience.

So, basically, the con's outweighed the pros.
Resolve: I am never taking that option again. I will wake up super early and plan to beat the traffic next time or simply sit pretty in traffic and wait... I finally got to the meeting venue earlier than the security man, pheeeeeeeeew. 

That's how my morning went, how did yours go? How is your day going lovelies?


Ciao.

Comments

  1. Bikers... Hmmmm. Is a no no for me in Lagos 😎😎😎😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God someone else reasons like me, it was something else o. But they aren't all that bad though

      Delete
  2. I bike like no man's busimess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaaaaa my sister you dey try o, aren't you always scared when on high speed and on the highway? That shii is Scarry mehn

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts