WEDDINGS, MY HILARIOUS EXPERIENCE AND OTHER MATTERS ARISING

A section of the 27 couples

Written by Amarachi Ogbonnaya

Yesterday, Saturday was a terrific day for me, I had lots of events to attend, both official and unofficial and guess what? I anchored a wedding ceremony too, it was beautiful.

This would be my second time officially hosting an event, I made a few mistakes and learnt from it, we grow from our mistakes right? Yeah right.

Anchoring a wedding reception


Yesterday, I attended a catholic church mass wedding of about 27 couples; both old and new couples. We all know how seriously catholics take their sacrament of marriage right? They follow it religiously and for you to be recognized as a catholic, you have to do a church wedding and so, couples who have kids already were officially joined together in holy matrimony yesterday, despite having done other forms of marriage rites like traditional and court marriages.

Have you seen a couple wear pink to their own wedding before? I saw one, people are steadily breaking the norm in weddings, I don't know how I feel about that, but I like the fact that they were so comfortable amidst the stares and side talks.

During the church ceremony, the responses from the couples to the questions being asked them by the priest were so funny that everyone practically laughed at almost half of them. I noticed most of the women sounded more excited than the men in answering these questions, it sounded like they were happier to be joined to their spouses more, maybe its my mind playing games on me o, but it sounded like the women were under more pressures to do church wedding than the men. Makes me remember a story I heard some time agoago of how a woman was being intimidated by the CWO (catholic women organization) of which she was a member because she wasn't officially married to her husband, (these were traditionally and lawfully bonded husband and wife o), just because tjey hadn't done, "Church Wedding," if she wanted to make a suggestion or remark, she would be told to keep kwayet as she wasn't a married woman, she wasn't allowed to joined christian mothers because of this same issue, she got fed up of living such a life and left the marriage after begging the man to do right by her and wed her in the church to no avail, because, according to the church, she wasn't really married to the man. Now the question is, who is to blame?  The woman, the church or the man ???. His excuse was that things were tough for him, taking care of five children, including the wife wasn't easy so he couldn't save enough for church wedding.

It brings me to the conclusion that Africans love the white culture more than theirs, we might always be slaves to the whites, not physically now, but mentally. Everything we do is oyibo centered, someone should prove me wrong na?

How is your day going wakanda FAM?

More giveaways coming soon, follow @diaryofawakanda on Instagram to participate.  Who wants to attend Lagos sail festival? Share your comments below.

Comments

Popular Posts