WOMEN, MARRIAGE AND AMBITION


Written by Amarachi Ogbonnaya.

Hello my lovely readers, I have been off for a while now and I have not been myself as I enjoy writing and blogging about things i see and events I go to.

I hosted an event on Saturday as the Mc and after it, a guest walked up to me and after complimenting me, told me about his own wedding coming up next year. We exchanged numbers and huncle refused to leave, kept talking about how if he wasn't married already, he would have married me, that he hasn't seen a woman doing Mc for any event, talk less of a wedding, thatthat he liked my energy, yen, yen, yen, I was already swelling with pride when this guy, a very young guy o, said if he marries me, I would have to stop doing Mc as he wouldn't want men to be talking to me, (eskis me sah, how is it doing you Na, men like you Na), so, in my usual chatty self, I asked him what else he would like me to be doing and as with typical Igbo business men, he said he would want me to come and join him in his business, that there is money in it (he sells spare parts for cars), that I would be going to China and Japan (in my mind, are those ones countries people should be priding to go to? Its business Na, not for tourism).

I remember when a friend got married, her husband told her not to work anymore, she joined him in his business, got bored and he opened a shop for her to sell human hair in whole sale, as lucrative as that business is, she got bored too and told him she wanted to go into her profession, she studied Mass communications too, you see Ehn, as long as you are not doing what you were called to do, marriage or not, you will never be satisfied or happy. Marriage tied her down from expressing herself for more than five years. A lot of men, especially Igbo men, believe a woman shouldn't work for anybody, man or woman because they are married.

Nobody asks the woman, "So, what do you want to do?" They just assume roles for her to play because of family.

Today, I am specially crushing on female CEOs, its not easy being at the top, hold on tight and to hustlers like me, God go bless our hustle soon, Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts