SINGLE PEOPLE AND SOCIETAL PRESSURE

Photo credit: fotola

Written by Amarachi Ogbonnaya.

Have you ever walked into a store and be reminded of your singlehood? I was, this morning. I was walking into Shoprite, when this man, shouldn't be more than 35-40 years walked up to me, gave me a flier and said, "For you and your husband." I was shocked, how can you just presume that someone is married just like that? I don't think he checked my finger and when I was I wasn't married, guess what this huncle did, (guess o....), (drumroll...), he took back his flier, ah ah, huncle, why so petty? I was shook, like, did that just happen?

Anyway, I carried my two left legs and left there, Abi? When I recounted the experience on my Whatsapp story and the unfairness of it all, my sister said, why didn't I claim it. Eskis me ma, was I supposed to scream, I am married in Jesus name? my male single friend said his married colleagues has been bulling him, telling him that no matter the number of responsibilities he claims to have, its not up to theirs as married people, ehen, I didn't know it was now a thing o.

The level of pressure society heaps on single people, both male and female is annoying.

I was on the streets of Instagram the other day trying to mind my business (but failing, sadly), when I saw a post on checking up on people made by a popular blogger, in the comment section, someone said she has being constantly harassed and pressured by her family to go and marry as time was no longer on her side, my amebo instinct set in and I found out the lady is just 26 years old, ah, oluwa o, 26 and time is no longer on her side? When 26 year olds like us are planning on how to further our masermaster programs, make money, buy lands, and someone is bingbeing told she is getting old (smh).

Its funny how unknowingly we are all part of the problem, sometimes I forget myself and ask fellow singles when they are getting married, especially, when their friends are getting married, oh Lord ayam sorry.

We need to change the narrative as a society and start focusing on important things like happiness and contentment.

Enough said, how is our today going? Me I HD a very long day and I need a massage and warm bath.

Comments

  1. This issue is affecting almost all single people, the pressure is just to much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not from your parents, friends, family, church, mosque, parents friends, the list is endless. It's really bad

      Delete
  2. I experience that a lot it’s just the society we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts